Iran Daily: Government Says “Mastermind” of Tehran Attacks Killed

0
1478

Iran’s Rouhani Government declared on Saturday that the “mastermind” behind Wednesday’s twin attacks in Tehran attacks has been killed.

In a televised interview, Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavi said the commander was killed earlier in the day. Alavi said the suspect had fled Iran, but was slain with the cooperation of “friendly foreign intelligence services”.

At least 17 people were killed and 52 injured in the attacks inside the Parliament building and on the shrine of the Islamic Republic’s founder, Ayatollah Khomeini. All six attackers — four at the Parliament complex and two at the Khomeini mausoleum — were killed or blew themselves up.

The Iranian regime has tried to portray a firm, effective response to the attacks, which would be the first major operations by ISIS inside the country. Scores of men have been detained, and Alavi said yesterday that intelligence forces had broken up 25 cells.

Meanwhile, the Supreme Leader and the Revolutionary Guards have gone beyond the Islamic State to focus on the US and Saudi Arabia, accusing the two countries — alongside Israel — of plotting the operations.

See Iran Daily, June 10: Dozens Arrested as Victims of Tehran Attacks BuriedIran Daily, June 9: Supreme Leader Blames US-Saudi “Global Arrogance” for Tehran Attacks

Revolutionary Guards outside the Parliament building during an attack on the complex, June 7, 2017

Related Posts

Leave a Comment